Thursday 5 October 2017

Browner Knowle 9...A Game of Chess Is NOT Involved





A5
36pp
black and white
Double cover
£5.00
http://www.paulashleybrown.co.uk/about

Paul Brown writes:


"BROWNER-KNOWLE 9 launches next Saturday at BRISTOL COMIC & ZINE FAIR at The Station Bristol. Note cynical-sellout Double Covers to con idiot comic geeks into buying two copies. If it works for Marvel & DC.....
(actually, each issue has both covers, and it probably still wont make a blind bit of difference to sales!!!)"

I hate cynical advertizing by big power companies,,,but let's get back to the doyenne of the Immaculate Wrist and Razor.


Firstly, the covers.  Some will have one variant and I have to say that I like the beach one ~it goes well with the strip inside.  Cover and interior paper stock are high quality, almost glossy.  The printing is lovely and crisp and, if you care about these things, it makes for a great book.

"What The Stones say" was so odd that I thought it was a graphic novel based on a Swedish movie.  However, there was no Max von Sydow.  Some nice detail in panels and on characters' clothing which most people forget about.  "The Piano" (no, nothing to do with the movie, that's what I thought but no Holly Hunter) is a poignant little piece about someone playing piano in a hospital while a certain artist was waiting to see whether he'd lose his leg.  No, I shan't say Mr Brown so there.

Then we have "The Once" which is a one pager and, again, was like a scene from some Skandiwegian art house short.  A theme appears to be developing in this review. A bit philosophically heavy on the interpersonal relationships stuff.  This is why I never do the interpersonal relationship stuff.

We then have Mr Brown's tour de force ~"The Eternal" which is 12 pages of ...bleakness.  Bleakness coming from a relationship in which one partner tries to help the other who is lapsing into altzheimers.  I don't do soppy stuff but if you like a good story with some good art then the price of BK 9 is worth it for this story.  I'll give this one 9 out of 10.

"The Problem With Relationships (& Drawings)" is another one pager and, seriously, do I have to explain a one pager with that title?  Oy.

"Flash back to Misery"...oh, it's another one page illo titled...er..."Untitled" and that is where I may have made my title error.  Nice little sketch and a childhood memory.

Then we have "Polly On the Beach" which, if I continued my original review theme would have been "The Beach" (yeuch).  But there is some nice black and white work here as well toning that give the strip its feel.  I make a guest appearance...nah, beard is too short.  But the main character reminded me of a couple of people I've known.  Mr Brown being atmospherically thought provoking and making it work.

Things I learnt from this zine and the review is "Skandiwegian (Skandinavian~Norwegian) is a thing.  Second, movies keep popping up in my head.  Thirdly, Mr Brown should be producing the BKs in a trade book or at least submitting his work to one of those trendy publishers into paying someone to publish their graphic novel.  Most of those graphic novels that I've seen have not been good and this issue of BK with just The Eternal kicks seven shades of crap out of them.

I know what you are thinking...."How the hell do I get a copy?!"  Well, firstly, if you are in Bristol Saturday check out the Comics and Zine Fair.  Yes, Mr Brown will be there and will even sign your copy if you ask him.

For £5.00 this is cheap.  Good art. Good story.  

No Max von Sydow nor Holly Hunter are on the negative side of things.

Buy a copy and help support a leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment